Sunday, January 31, 2010

Citizen Kane

The post-modernist approach by Welles was extremely effective but the movie itself didn’t interest me very much. The fact that the film never really allowed us to know who Kane was annoyed me the most. The camera angles were distracting, leaving me confused as to what I was trying to focus on, which was the point I guess. Welles’ theatrical background was very apparent in this film but my favorite element used in this film was time compression, something very difficult to do on stage, showing Welles’ abilities when it came to filmmaking. I was also very hung up on paying attention to details about “rosebud” and trying to figure out the meaning of it, which ended up being a whole lot of nothing. Welles “magic tricks” seemed to me a way to distract people from the fact that there wasn’t much truth to the film at all. A view of Kane from several different people and their opinions doesn’t add much to the information you are given in the beginning of the film about Charles Kane, which is probably a result of the film being told about a dead Kane rather than a live Kane. The “No Trespassing” signs from the beginning and the end of the film symbolize that you will never have a real and clear idea about who or what is Charles Foster Kane.

1 comment:

  1. You're on a very interesting track here, but it's as if you're fighting against your own conclusions. What if the point is that it doesn't all add up? Also, what do you mean by post-modernism? You give up a little too soon here, and I want more!

    Bringing the reading in would have given you a bit more to work with.

    ReplyDelete