Friday, April 30, 2010

Mulholland Drive

I have seen a couple of Lynch movies before (Eraserhead and Blue Velvet) and I still didn’t have any clue what to expect. The first time watching this movie left me scratching my head at the end much like I did when I saw Eraserhead. In Eraserhead I couldn’t figure out if it was a real, post-apocalyptic world? Is this a dream? What is happening?? This is very similar to how I felt during Mulholland Drive.

At first I questioned the acting and I was saying, is this for real? It seemed so exaggerated which I think now in hindsight, was the point. I guess what I came up with in reference to postmodernism is the reference to all kinds of different genres in Hollywood. The reading calls Hollywood the “dream factory” and this movie felt like a very long dream to me. It felt like some scenes or parts went together but when you really looked at the movie as a whole, it was hard to make sense of everything that happened which is really reminded me of a dream.

There were scenes, characters, and situations that just did not fit into the context of the movie much like there are characters, scenes, and/or situations that happen in dreams that just are bits of really nothing at all. The scene that seemed to fit into the movie the least to me was the scene in the diner where the guy eventually has a heart attack. Maybe I am not thinking enough but that part just baffled me.

I saw many different parts of Hollywood in this movie. Many stereotypical characters and genres that come out of Hollywood I think were seen in this film. I have thought of many different reasons for all of these scenes, characters, situations, and the sequence of everything and I guess I am still pretty stumped. Lynch really is like no other director. I can’t remember ever thinking and being frustrated so much by a film or a couple of films from a director.

5 comments:

  1. The guy who has a heart attack is a good point to raise. That scene we see him trying to recreate a dream, much like the whole beginning of the movie is, Diane recreating her life in a dream form. When heart attack man recreates his dream it really happens which lets us, the viewer, know that this movie blurs the line between real and dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that some scenes or parts of the storyline went together but then there was always something to throw off whatever you think is happening. To me, this leaves the whole movie open for several different interpretations.

    The references to different genres stuck out to me right away too. Betty's character was annoying me so much in the beginning, but it didn't take long to realize this over bubbly, exaggerated character was exactly what Lynch was going for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand when you say that you couldn't understand if the acting in the first part of the film was real or not. I also have seen quite a few lynch films because of the Crit course about him, but i also don't know what to expect especially when i was watching this film. When i first saw this movie i remember leaning over to a friend and saying " is it just me or is this really bad acting." i guess that just part of the whole illusion Lynch wanted to create. which is why i love this film, the audience is fooled around with the whole time. amazing haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. That diner scene where the man wants to make sure that his dreams never cross over into reality was one of my favorite moments of the film. It’s just so powerful the way Lynch builds up the scene, with his ominous sound design and eerily floating camera. I completely agree with fahy6638 in that it is the point in the film where the line between dream and reality physically meet and we can’t discern what is actually happening.

    I loved the mixing of various genres in this film as well and really think that it’s what makes Lynch’s film so interesting. He really is a filmmaker that mixes all of these different styles together whether it be regarding fashion, architecture, setting, music, mood, or this idea of the real versus the surreal. Watching his films, we really can’t figure out what we are looking at and simply have to accept it as being Lynch’s world, making him, in my opinion, one of the most talented and intriguing post-modern narrative filmmakers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynch is a master at making the audience feel like they're dreaming right along with the characters. I don't know how he evokes the emotions he does, exactly. I could break it down, I suppose. But I don't want to, because I like the mood. This is a good entry because you're letting yourself observe, including observing your own puzzlement.

    ReplyDelete